4-week travel writing workshop: “Go For It! Travel Writing for Magazines & Newspapers”
Local author and teacher, Melissa Hart, will offer a 4-week travel writing workshop titled “Go For It! Travel Writing for Magazines & Newspapers.” Offered late October and early November, this lively, focused, 2-hour per night class will help participants learn the following:
- How to use your own passions to identify story ideas that make editors salivate
- Travel essays and articles: how to craft them, and why to write both
- Tips and tricks from the most successful travel writers working today
- Best websites for travel writers looking for new and interesting stories
- Sidebars: how to research and write them to entice editors and empower readers
- How to submit your travel pieces to editors at magazines and newspapers
- How to document your travels through snapshots and publication-quality photography
- How to turn your travel writing into a tax write-off and a platform for your book-length travel memoir or guidebook
While students won’t workshop pieces in class, Hart will invite you to submit one travel article and one travel essay to her for professional editing. She’ll also give you several suggestions for potential markets, based on her knowledge of the industry.
Melissa Hart is the author of the memoir, Gringa: A Contradictory Girlhood (Seal Press, 2009). She’s been teaching travel writing at the University of Oregon for several years, and she teaches Memoir Writing for U.C. Berkeley’s online extension program. Hart is a contributing editor at The Writer, and her travel writing has appeared in The Boston Globe, The Oregonian, Hemispheres, Horizon Air Magazine, The Christian Science Monitor, High Country News, The Washington Post, The Register Guard, and the ever-popular Cat Fancy!
This will be a fun, supportive workshop, where you’ll learn a great deal in a relaxed setting.
- Instructor: Melissa Hart
- When and Where: South Eugene, specific setting and days to be announced soon
- Cost: $220
- Includes 4 weeks of instruction plus professional editing of 2 pieces
- To reserve your spot, e-mail or call Melissa Hart at (541) 431-6922. A $50 deposit by check or PayPal is also needed
Questions? Contact Melissa at email@example.com or at 541/431-6922.